Tuesday, May 23, 2006

DISCLAIMER *Sorry to all the IKEA shoppers I bowled over on Saturday morning....I was the frantic lady with the stroller pushing everyone out of the way*

So, it finally happened. Jo and I lost Grace. It was only for about five minutes, but let me tell you, it was the longest five minutes of my life. We went shopping at IKEA (Saturday morning of a long weekend, NOT a good idea). The ball room was full, so Grace had to join us in our shopping expedition. IKEA has these little arrows painted on the ground, and we kept telling Grace that the arrows lead to ice cream and we would get one at the end of our shopping trip. I don't know how it happened, because I really was standing right beside her, but I was looking at Jo who was showing me something. I called to Grace to follow us, and she was gone! We remained calm (well, Jo did) while we frantically searched the area for her. She was nowhere to be found. You have to understand just how busy IKEA was that day - there were people and kids everywhere - it was loud and chaotic. Jo and I split up; I was ready to demand a store shut-down where they lock the doors from the inside and don't let anyone out. Jo was a little cooler than me and thought about the arrows on the ground - sure enough, Grace had followed the arrows, found a kind, older woman and an equally kind IKEA employee to stay with until we found her. She was visibly scared, and when I rounded the corner and found her in Jo's arms, I burst out crying. Do you scold or hug a child who has been through this? We figured the trauma of being lost was lesson enough for Grace, and her little hand held our hands pretty tightly for the rest of the day. Jo and I learned our lesson too - don't go shopping on the weekend with the kids (thank god Edie is still strapped in a the stroller!)

Trauma #2
Jo and I celebrated 7 years of marriage this past Sunday (thank you, thank you very much). We decided to go out for dinner to celebrate at our local haunt, and Jo's mom kindly offered to babysit. We figured we would bathe, pajama and feed the girls so they would be ready for bed (oh, and because they were just back from the park and thought a sand-bath was a great idea). A utopic moment turned tragic: picture naked, cute as a button Edie, rocketing down the hall to the bathroom for her bath. Inheriting her mother's grace, Edie trips on thin air and face plants on the hardwood floor. Jo picks her up and there is blood everywhere! And a blood curdling scream to match! Jo called out to me "I think it's her teeth!" Well, thank god it was a just a bad cut to the roof of her mouth. Can you imagine if Edie lost her teeth as well? I suspect Jo and I would be investigated for sure.

Thank god I just had my hair done last week - I'm sure a few gray stress hairs have popped out of my scalp after this weekend!

The adventures continue, and they make us all stronger (?!) At least I'll never run out of things to write about....

My favourite webiste today (if you like celebrity gossip):
www.thegildedmoose.blogspot.com

No comments: