Friday, January 21, 2011

Random...

I love grapefruit. I do not love grapefruit and coffee. Which puts me in a pickle and forces me to redefine grapefruits as a breakfast-y thingy.

I am on day 21 of my no-sugar/no booze "lifestyle" change. (All the experts say not to call it a diet and I like experts to tell me what to do, so...) I feel REALLY good. I mean, when Edie is headlining, in marquis lights "The Shit Show" at dinner time, I still kinda shake for a glass of red, but other than that it is going really well. The sugar thing astounds me - I'm pretty sure I had more sugar than water in my body over xmas, and now I don't even crave it. The "experts" are right. Feb. 1 marks the end of the "lifestyle" change, I'm really curious how that will go. Will I revert to old habits or cruise along as I am now?

Oh! I should mention as a result of this "lifestyle" change I nearly called 911 the other morning when I looked in the mirror and saw a dent it my stomach, and then realized that I wasn't broken, but an ab muscle had revealed itself! Sweet!

And now I bring you to the literary portion of our program *putting smart glasses on*

'Twas my quest in the new year to be well read, and pursue literature like Lindsay Lohan pursues coke (see how I did that? That's called a simili, you should put your your smart glasses on too).

Turns out you need time to read, which I don't have a whole lot of. So, I discovered books on CD, which I listen to on my commute to and from work. So far this year I have enjoyed:

I'm Down a Memoir by Mishna Wolf (realllllly funny)

The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe by Randy Taraborrelli (kinda sad, but super interesting)

Symptoms of Withdrawal by Christopher Kennedy Lawford (v. interesting look at the Kennedy's - definitely does not shed positive light on them)

High on Arrival, by Mackenzie Philips (scandalous!)

Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper (hmmm, thought provoking)

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott (awwww, tee hee, cleans my brain after listening to Mackenzie Philips)

Into the Wild by John Krakauer (turned it off, much better to read than listen to)

Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort (currently listening to this - I pray for traffic jams. Sooooo good)

If you have any recommendations, books you think would transfer well onto audio, please let me know *smart glasses coming off*. I do like smut, so I won't judge if you suggest Tommy Lee's autobiography or something.

There. Random.

2 comments:

Stella said...

It is my DREAM to have muscles magically appear on my tummy! AMAZING!

Laura said...

Way to go with the lifestyle change. That's amazing! I have never listened to a book on CD before...sounds cool. I just read "The Secret Daughter" in one sitting, I liked it that much. Not sure how it would work in CD form though...