Monday, June 23, 2008

Songs of Summer

The first real song of summer that stands out for me is “Take a Walk on the Wild Side” by Lou Reed. I remember this song was playing the night I kissed my boyfriend – it was my first “real” kiss. I can even picture what I was wearing that night – an oversized James Dean t-shirt and black pedal pushers. My hair was fashioned in that weird lopsided cut that all girls had that summer. For years after that night, every time I heard that song I would get butterflies in my stomach, even though it had been long time since the bloom fell off the romance.

Another song that stands out for me is a silly one. It was the month of May and, having just been sent to rehab, all my punk music had been confiscated, and I was only allowed to listen to top 40 music. That was the summer of “Pop Goes the World” by Men Without Hats. To this day whenever I hear that song, a flood of emotions come over me.

Skip to university and Frosh Week. At Bishop’s that year, my summer song was 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins – no reason why, but whenever I hear that song, I think about that first foray into living on my own, making the best friends I’d ever had, and general good times.

This summer, my summer song is by M.I.A. Gunshots aside, it makes me sooooo happy when I listen to it. Whenever it comes on, I roll down the windows, crank the volume, and, for a few minutes, forget that I’m in a mini-van .

Enjoy.

object width="425" height="344">

*Tell me your most memorable summer songs, I'm always looking for good songs!

7 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

"Blue Eyes" circa 1986 - worked retail that summer and I swear that song came on every 1/2 hour. Great summer, great memories!

Chantal said...

Love Love Love that song. Just downloaded it!

Pour Some Sugar On Me, summer of 1986 I believe? I was at Camp Minwassin and kissed a boy at the back of a dance in the dining hall.

Desperado. Summer of 1994. We, well, you know, while it played. It was our wedding song too!

XUP said...

Colour My World by Chicago - the song that ended all our teenage dances when things got schmoozy. (We were just too cool for the stereotypical Stairway to Heaven)

alison said...

Um, I think I heard "Grace Kelly" about a zillion times while driving to Halifax last summer, so that's the summer of 2007 song for me.

The song that reminds me of teenage summers growing up in Windsor is Bob Seger's "Night Moves". I'm ancient.

Anonymous said...

Ooh ooh ooh! My fave for the summer thus far is "American Boy" by Estelle... Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbeTDorgNk
- Your friendly neighbhourhood curator

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.