Thursday, December 08, 2011

Tap tap, is this thing on????

Allow me to introduce you to Oakville Meanie, a lot like Ottawa Meanie, but kinda stepford-y.

So Jo and I moved to Oakville last week - we had originally had our hearts set on Toronto, the city, but the hoods we desired proved to be too expensive for us. To afford a house there, a child would have been sold (hmmmm) a second child would have had to sell her zhu zhu pet collection and recorder (hmmmmmmmm) and the husband would have had to sell his 50" plasma t.v. which is perpetually tuned into a football game (hmmmm) in order to afford one. Waaaaiiiit a minute, WTF????? That would have been perfect!

All kidding aside, the homes that we could have afforded in TO were absolutely minuscule, expensive, and not necessarily in the school district we wanted. So, we started looking in Oakville, where the houses are bigger, more affordable and there is room to run and make noise. Jo works in Mississauga so his commute makes sense. I am not working at the moment so it doesn't really matter where I am. And really, I can online shop anywhere you plop me, so whatevs.

The girls are attending what is turning out to be THE BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!! Grace announced to me that the teacher has a fidget box for kids who need to fidget with things whilst being instructed. Amazing. Edie came home from her second day at school beaming because WE DON'T HAVE TO LEARN MOMMY, TODAY WE MADE PLAYDOUGH!!!!!!!!!! Uh huh Edie, and how did you make the playdough? Well, we meathured 1 cup of baking thoda (she's missing a front tooth) wif 1/2 a cup of corn thtarch and some water!!!!!!!! Yup, she didn't learn anything there at all. And today they are off to meet Robert Munsch on a field trip. Nothing against their school in Ottawa, but that is pretty effing kick ass. Next thing you know there will be a field trip to go see Social Distortion. Yeah, I'll be volunteering for that one.

As for me, I'm easing into things. As you can imagine, I was VERY popular in Ottawa, turning down invitations left right and centre, feted by all walks of life just for being me. Okay, I exagerrate. But I did have a really solid group of friends (you know who you are, don't make me write your names). And by solid I mean I did that Oprah thing a few years ago where I got rid of all those people in my life who were negative in any way (or made me feel fat), so you can imagine what an amazing circle of friends I left behind, some of whom I saw on an almost daily basis. Thank Latoya Jackson for email, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and....ummm, am I missing anything? No, don't tell me, I don't need anymore distractions.
Anyhoooo, with all these methods of communicating, I feel like I'm still in the loop somewhat. But, I do have to get out there and meet some people. I think I'll start next week.

But here I am, blogging again, Christopher, Lexie, consider this one dedicated to......you. I'll try and be better at it.

6 comments:

Sparklypear said...

I didn'tknow you were on Pinterest! Following you. Happy to be reading your thoughts again!

Anonymous said...

You are sorely missed, Meanie... We love you to bits (even though you didn't take us with you).

- Your friendly neighbour curator.

Jen said...

I have missed reading your ridiculously funny writing. I hope Oakville is good to you and your family.

Jen said...

Glad to hear that you are settled in. I actually grew up in Burlington, which is right next door to Oakville. When I was a teenager, we used to go to Oakville Place to shop. It was good times, good times! Glad to be reading your blog again : )

Emma said...

I hear ya! I live in Etobicoke and cannot move more into the city because the houses are WAY to expensive for what we want.

petite gourmand said...

Glad you are back.
I missed your writing.

we looked at a few houses in Oakville this summer for all the same reasons listed above.
I grew up in the area and it really is a great place to raise a family.
on the weekend with no traffic it's only 20 minutes to downtown anyways.
During the week unfortuantely it's a different story, so we opted to stay in the city.
Big daddy complains when he gets stuck in traffic for more than 15 minutes.
A commuter he is not...
But I love the parks along the lakeshore and the village.
We often come in for the weekend just to relax by the lake.
So Congrats!

and besides, where else would you find neighbours that bake you shortbread, give you flowers and invite you over after just meeting you?
Oakville sounds awfully tempting right about now...